The questions to ask in interview
Great news! You have the interview for the role you applied for. This is the moment you’ve been waiting for. Time to make it count!
Naturally, you’ll be doing lots of research about the business, the market, and competitors.
One of the most important points to remember here is this opportunity is as much about you interviewing the Hiring Manager and finding out about the role and the business as it is them interviewing you. In all likelihood you’re not going to get this opportunity again – first impressions count. However, do remember this is meant to be a conversation between two professionals – a free-flowing transfer of information to see if you’re compatible. From here, both parties will form an opinion to make a definitive move forward.
The questions you ask will vary from job to job and across interviews. However, you need to ask questions. It shows you’re inquisitive, interested and you’re probing to find out about the culture, processes, values and the role. Will you fit? Asking the questions will give plenty of clues!
As a reminder, pay attention in the interview. Some of the questions that you had prepared to ask might have been answered already, so beware of duplication!
- What is the culture of the business?
- Tell me about your management style.
- Why has the role become available?
- How does the role complement the structure and future strategy of the organisation?
- How is the current economic performance of the country impacting the business?
- How important is work/life balance here? What is there to promote teamwork and external activities?
- What opportunities are there to progress?
- What types of training opportunities do you offer?
- How is performance measured?
- Have there been any red flags during this interview that would prevent me being offered the role?
- What are the next steps in the process?
Roland Seddon, Managing Director, MRK Associates.
MRK Associates is a recruitment and career advisory company specialising in three distinct areas of professional employment – finance/accountancy jobs, office support/administration jobs and revenue management/yield jobs. Our main geographical focus is in the Northern Home Counties area (Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire and Bedfordshire) where we provide a personal, knowledgeable and professional service within these markets.
For more information, please telephone 01442 894555 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org