Building a relationship with your new colleagues | MRK Associates
When you start a new role, these are exciting times and you’ll want to make an impression. Your new employer has recruited you based on your CV, interviews and also an element of ’gut feel’. You have been trusted!
The first few days are hard enough but the worst thing you can do is put yourself under added pressure trying to make too much of an impression. However, it’s important to strike the right note with colleagues. By building support early in your career at your new employer, you will be seen to be a good communicator, able to build relationships and adapt yourself to an alien culture.
Here are some top tips from MRK Associates which will help you whether you are starting day one in your first job or are an experienced board-level member:
• Insist on attending the company induction – this is golden time. You can learn so much in this period.
• Identify who you need to build relationships with.
• Be prepared to work and build these relationships; they won’t happen immediately and could take place through work and social events – be patient!
• Listen to your colleagues about the working environment, the company and appreciate how others have developed their career in the business.
• Ask questions that are probing and help you learn about the business, the job, and the working environment.
• Form your own opinions – it isn’t wise to listen to others moan and groan about colleagues.
• Don’t be a keyboard warrior – pick up the phone or meet the people you want to communicate with. Make the effort – your new colleagues will appreciate it.
• Be positive.
• Avoid gossiping.
• Focus on delivering some early project wins – this will set your mind at rest.
You’ve been recruited based on your expertise, qualifications, and successes – good luck in your new role and remember, enjoy it!
MRK Associates is a recruitment and career advisory company specialising in three distinct areas of professional employment – finance/accountancy jobs, office support/administration jobs and revenue management/yield jobs. Our main geographical focus is in the Northern Home Counties area (Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire and Bedfordshire) where we provide a personal, knowledgeable and professional service within these markets.
For more information, please telephone 01442 894555 or email: email@example.com